Adventure

It takes a lot of courage to release the familiar and seemingly secure, to embrace the new. But there is no real security in what is no longer meaningful. There is more security in the adventurous and exciting, for in movement there is life, and in change there is power" Alan Cohen

Monday, May 12, 2008

Volunteering

Today I started volunteering with the 49er's. I spent the morning filing old member records with the help of another volunteer. It was great to have someone to chat with, meet new people, and move around lugging boxes. I've always found volunteering to be a way to learn something new, meet new people and have a purpose to the day. I'll probably continue a few days a week while I'm here. Of course, that meant the laundry didn't get done and I'm going to do a quick dinner.

One of the nicest things about being out here is there's so many less "things" to worry about. I've found there are lots of items I don't need and very little that I miss from home.

Speaking of missing things, I bought a bird feeder basket, about the size of a sandwich, and hung it up in a tree where I hoped to watch the birds. Well, it disappeared overnight, apparently the victim of a squirrel or other tree-climbing thief. The next feeder will be sturdier. I'm also on the lookout for a hummingbird feeder. I'm also collecting rocks to edge our campsite. The nesting instinct must be strong in us humans ;-)

Mike found a second site to do some high banking and will be setting up there tomorrow. He saw some flakes from the first spot, but not enough to make it a keeper. I plan on having some pictures of his setup later this week.

No comments: