Adventure

It takes a lot of courage to release the familiar and seemingly secure, to embrace the new. But there is no real security in what is no longer meaningful. There is more security in the adventurous and exciting, for in movement there is life, and in change there is power" Alan Cohen

Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Poppies and pamphlets


The California state flower is the golden poppy and they are "popping" up all over here. I snapped this picture on my walk home from the 49er's office this afternoon. Mike drove me in this morning on his way out to get some parts for his equipment.

Everyone is very nice here. The staff at the office are mostly locals and a couple of other visitors, like me. Today I had the task of putting those little clear sticky circles on 3 edges of the member bulletin - 500 bulletins times 3 is 1500 stickies! I got to chat with the other ladies (talking being my second favorite thing after reading) with a break for lunch just a short walk away. I could really get addicted to the Pizza Stop's black bread..it's yummy!

Mike rigged up a long PVC arm for the hose and plans to be able to get out into the water further with it. He ran into a snag when his waders leaked - seems the hot sun on our porch dried out the rubber. A lot of folks seem to store their gear and even their RVs here. It something we might look into.

In April I took another class at the John C Campbell Folk School in Brasstown, North Carolina. I went for the Southern Cooking class and more than once I wandered over to the Altered Books class.

Altered books are a craft art form where old books are converted into art projects. Today I received a text book on the subject and I can't wait to try and create one. I already have several ideas in mind and there are lots of found objects around to incorporate into the project.

I see some bugs I need to chase out of my "room" so good nite for now!

No comments: