Adventure

It takes a lot of courage to release the familiar and seemingly secure, to embrace the new. But there is no real security in what is no longer meaningful. There is more security in the adventurous and exciting, for in movement there is life, and in change there is power" Alan Cohen

Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Breaking old habits

It's amazing to me how persistent old habits can be. Getting in a new environment helps me to see how much I do every day without thinking. With the props missing here, I find substitutes to continue in the same old ways. Enough of that!

A new habit I'm hoping to form is regular walks and hikes. The walk to town is a little over a mile, one way and crosses Indian Creek. You can see the water is running strong. The 49er's club has a blackboard showing the current water flow of the Klamath River at 5,000+ cubic feet per second; way too powerful for dredging which will have to wait until the spring runoff finishes sometime in June.

Today's walk took me to Evan's Mercantile Store and the library. The store has a little bit of everything. It's been in existence since the 1930's and is still run by the original family owners. Today's special were baby chicks! I might break down and get a Big Foot t-shirt.

The library is about 20 x 30 ft. and is only open 4 days a week, from 2:30 pm until 5:00 pm. The pickings are slim, but there's enough to tide me over if I run out of reading. That's one habit I don't intend to break.

Being away we only will get mail once a week, another excuse to walk in to town. Of course, email is readily available and we've got a decent phone signal but I don't miss it. I think we're both enjoying the slower pace here.

Another new habit is posting to this blog. I've kept journals for years and its different when its shared with friends and family. Let me know what you think.

No comments: