Having been a city girl, the outdoor life is offering lots of new experiences, not the least of these (no pun intended) being the tiny creatures that inhabit the outdoors.
Today in the "office" I had to swat a hornet that came calling, probably drawn by the smell of my morning coffee. The screens keep out most bugs, if I remember to zip the door but I am easily distracted and shortly after getting settled in my chair again found a pretty red and black beetle, about the size of a peanut, crawling under my left hand beneath the keyboard. "Ack!," I squawked, and swatted it to the ground at the same time I precariously jerked the laptop to the table. It sort of reminded me of the beetle-morphing typewriter in the movie, Naked Lunch.
Bitty bugs aren't our only companions here. Next door is a gentle golden retriever named Butter who comes sniffing around at dinner time, especially this evening when we grilled minute steaks. There are a couple of pet cats but so far no sign of skunks, raccoons or snakes. A few squirrels chattered at me on the walk into town this afternoon, where I dropped off the mail and Mike has spotted a rather nonchalant deer at the entrance to the camp. I've also seen some bright blue-wing tipped birds and a redheaded woodpecker that likes to drill on the satellite dish.
A quiet day today and we're settling in for the evening, after having enjoyed dinner in the gazebo. Tomorrow Mike starts digging.
No comments:
Post a Comment