Adventure

It takes a lot of courage to release the familiar and seemingly secure, to embrace the new. But there is no real security in what is no longer meaningful. There is more security in the adventurous and exciting, for in movement there is life, and in change there is power" Alan Cohen

Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Books from Childhood


It rained all last night and is still raining today. I love to sit and read in the rain and have been remembering some of my favorite childhood books.

The Boxcar Children was a great favorite. Four children run away and live by their wits in a boxcar. I think the story inspired my recent wanderlust and a fascination with using what is at hand. The books are now a series of over 100 titles; the first one was what I remember.

A Rocket in My Pocket was a book of poems I read sometime after 6th grade. I found a paperback copy a few years ago and its on my poetry shelf at home. I also have a set of the World Books of Childhood, I think they were called, that my father sold door-to-door when we first moved to Arizona. I love the smooth, glossy pages and the poems and stories that I memorized from reading them over and over.

I asked Mike what books he recalled. He described The Waverly Novels by Sir Walter Scott. He had an old set as a child that he kept with him for years. It gives me some insight into his chivalrous nature and sense of honor.

Now, dear Reader, I would like to know what books you remember from childhood. Click on the underlined "comments" link below the post to add your memories.

No comments: