I work part-time for Odyssey HealthCare and do some consulting for the U.S. Food and Nutrition Service , so during the week I go to work. My desk is a folding table in our gazebo screen room and I've got an electric cord from the RV to the laptop. With an ice cooler for a footstool and a camp chair , I can kick back and take care of business.
Before starting work though, I walked into Happy Camp around 9 a.m. After stopping by the Ranger Station for the US Forest Service to pick up a map for Mike, I went to the post office and introduced myself. Next door is Parry's Market where I picked up some fresh veggies for dinner and then walked over to the library. It's only open 2:30 - 5:00 pm Monday through Thursday so I'll catch it later in the week.
Next door to the library I made a new acquaintance and we chatted for awhile. She has apple and pear trees, grapevines and lots of bright flowers. Next time I go in to town, she invited me to tea.
We put out solar lampposts around the gazebo and they glowed softly last night. It cools off to the 50's in the evening and we've got a couple blankets on the bed still. The days are warming up and several of the more permanent campers have started their gardens.
Mike explored the terrain some more today and found a place to do some high-banking. For you prospecting novices, high banking involves putting a motorized wet vac in the water to wash dirt shoveled from the bank of the stream through a sluice box that's set up many feet from the water's edge. The gold settles in the ridges of the box. That's probably not the most accurate description but you get the idea.
Happy Camp is sort of the epicenter of the Big Foot Legend and a statute in his honor is in the center of town. Thought a picture of his handsome visage was called for.
Happy Camp is also known for its jade so I'll be on the look out for green colored stones on tomorrow's walk.
No comments:
Post a Comment