The reconnaissance trip to town (my description) was, in retrospect, a little unsettling. After over a week of woods and quiet, Medford was a jolt. We took in some delicious Mexican food at Casa Ramos restaurant but too much of a good thing came back to bite both of us. We found a used bookstore and the ubiquitous Wally World and Costco. Next trip we'll probably come back the same day. Ashland is a little closer and we'll have to check it out on a future trip too.
A friend of Mike's from Stanton is prospecting about halfway to town at the Scott River site so we stopped in and visited for a bit. The Scott River site is dry camping (no electricity, water or sewage hookup) so those staying there are roughing it. His buddy has a solar panel that supplies the electric and the river's close enough to bring up water to be filtered. I'm glad to be where we're at!
Today's Mother's Day and I have to take a moment to remember a good time with my Mom, Mary Jane. We camped our way from Arizona to family back east on more than one occasion and I have to hand it to Mom, she really put up with a lot! Three kids (at the time), a dachshund, and a camp setup made from the back end of a truck. Dad liked going off the beaten path and one time took us off the road in Colorado. I will always cherish the memory of waking up in the back of the station wagon, surround by Aspens, and having Dad bring us hot coffee with lots of milk that Mom had made for us. She always took great care of us kids.I am truly blessed to now have a daughter and 2 more sons and they as well as number one son, Cory called to wish me Happy Mother's Day. I passed on my good wishes to Helen, Cory's grandmother, and Marilyn, Dad's wife.
The next couple of weeks I'm volunteering in the 49'ers office, so I hope to get to know some of the local folks and meet some of the other prospectors coming to the area.
I made a chocolate cake in the toaster oven to take to the Forest Rangers who let me use their office last Friday for a conference call and it's time to do the icing. More later.
No comments:
Post a Comment