We spent all day Saturday out on the fjords of the Kenai Fjords National Park on a small ship (about 100 people). We saw the Bear Glacier up close and puffins, sea lions and hump back whales!
When we got back at 5:30 pm, we were tired and crashed for the night.
On Sunday, I tried to find and fulfill some requests for pictures of gravestones from the Find A Grave app. People posts requests for pictures and the app allows you to "claim" the requests and post any pictures you can get. Sort of geo-caching for genealogists! Seward has four cemeteries next to one another but I wasn't able to find any of the requested names. It was peaceful walking among the early settlers of the area. Anyone want to try and make out what this one says?
I also visited the Library, where they had decent wi-fi, and met some folks from the Historical Society in the adjoining museum. They are digitizing their collections of papers, scrapbooks and obituaries. Maybe in the future they can be accessed online. It was neat to see how the homesteaders lived in the early days and see the devastation caused by the Good Friday earthquake in 1964.
Monday we re-visited the Aquarium and Exit Glacier. Exit Glacier is inside the park, so I got my second National Park stamp from here.
| Exit Glacier |
| Sea lion at Seward Aquarium |
| octopus at Seward Aquarium |
1 comment:
Wow, amazing how much smaller exit glacier is from when we were there in 2010. Hope you enjoyed the Cruise I know we did.
Post a Comment