Adventure

It takes a lot of courage to release the familiar and seemingly secure, to embrace the new. But there is no real security in what is no longer meaningful. There is more security in the adventurous and exciting, for in movement there is life, and in change there is power" Alan Cohen

Sunday, May 9, 2010

A mellow Mother's Day

We headed out of West Branch State Park in Ohio this morning to Cuyahoga National Park, just a half hour west.  I've got to say, we thought it was an unusual national park, compared to what we're familiar with.  It's only a couple miles wide and 30 or so long.  There are homes throughout the park.  It was created along the path of the Ohio-Erie canal, a transportation waterway built in the 1800's to ferry goods from Lake Erie south to the Ohio River at the other end of the state.  Today, the canals are overgrown and the park is criss-crossed by interstates.  We stopped to see Brandywine Falls, a 60 foot drop.  After being out West my whole life and living in the city, it's new to see so many living on farms and out in the country.  It's unusual too, to get across a state in a few hours, everything is so much closer in the Midwest.

We've stopped for the night at Wright Patterson AFB and will be heading to Indianapolis to see where Mike worked then heading across Indiana and planning to stop somewhere in Illinois tomorrow. 

Today  Cory, Pam, Mike and Steve called me to wish me a Happy Mother's Day.  I am so lucky to have great kids!  I hope your Mother's Day was special too.

1 comment:

Pamela Lee said...

I am glad you got my message! I love the pic of the waterfall! I could not agree more about driving across the midwest, the states fly by compared to Tennessee or Texas...