Adventure

It takes a lot of courage to release the familiar and seemingly secure, to embrace the new. But there is no real security in what is no longer meaningful. There is more security in the adventurous and exciting, for in movement there is life, and in change there is power" Alan Cohen

Tuesday, September 9, 2008

A Little Diversion


We had planned to go to dinner at the Oregon Caves Chateau later this week and decided to make the trip today instead. We headed over the mountain, where some of the flowers are turning to puffy seed.

The caves are 20 miles outside of Cave Junction, Oregon. Mike stopped at a dentist he'd found online who agreed to see him right away so I set off to wander while he got some fillings done.

I love thrift shops so I stopped at the local Senior Center Thrift Shop. A patron had recently dropped off his entire book collection and I enjoyed picking out a few old gems. A reprint of "Ladies Indispensable Assistant" from 1852 is a hoot! Satisfied with my finds, I picked Mike up and he drove up to the monument.

We didn't tour the cave (not a good idea after fillings and without jackets) but planned on saving that for next year.
We had lunch at the 30's style cafe (I tried to make the picture a little Hopper-esque) and looked around the chateau. It's built into the marble canyon and would be a nice place for a romantic weekend.

I snapped a shot of some very forward blue birds who seemed offended after posing and not getting any treats.



The lunches were huge, so we brought the leftovers home for dinner and settled in for the evening. We're heading back to Phoenix next week, me via Reno and Mike through California. Can't wait to see everyone again!

No comments: