 |
| sure way to keep you on the trail! |
Last Saturday the sun was shining, temps in the high 70's and we wanted to get out and enjoy it! We took a 90 minute drive out to
Boyce Thompson Arboretum The Arboretum was created from 1923 to 1929 by a millionaire mining executive who loved the desert and its plants.
 |
| View at beginning of main trail |
We had our backyard re-landscaped last fall and now's the time to start looking for desert friendly plants and the Arboretum has hundreds of varieties to explore. There's a small gift shop and plants sale area. It is a state park and covers about 400 acres near Superior, Arizona. We walked the main trail which first came to the herb and cactus gardens, looped around the small lake, through a canyon and finally the eucalyptus grove. There's a few old structures to peak at and many birds about.
 |
| Love these grouped together |
The variety of cacti and other desert adapted plants is fantastic. I've been researching what to plant and I was able to see many of the ones I've been thinking about. Not too interested in the boojum tree, it looks like something out of Dr Seuss!
 |
| Boojum tree |
 |
| Ayer Lake feed by Queen Creek |
The lake created in 1925 has overlooks to sit and rest a bit before continuing on up the trail.
Thompson's house is perched on a mountain top (I think its still occupied).
A great way to spend a sunny afternoon. The staff said that the plants will be coming into bloom in March and April so I'm thinking another trip will be in order soon.
No comments:
Post a Comment