
Today is my 55th birthday! First a big hug to all of you that sent cards or called and made me feel great to have such wonderful family and friends.
Getting older brings reflection and the universe today put some interesting thoughts in my way.
I spent an hour or so listening to the story of the man who has been caring for my lawn for over 20 years. Turns out he was trained as an accountant in Guatemala where he is from. He served in their army and came to the U.S. in his 20's. He worked as a dishwasher, cook, landscaper and now owns over 15 properties and his own landscaping business, a very successful small businessman. He has 4 children, his oldest on the path to becoming a doctor. And yes, he's a legal immigrant.
It's sobering to think that all these years with my prejudice which can mean "to pre-judge", I've missed knowing him. I am ashamed of myself. Unlike my father, though I can see I'm too often blinded to the real person.
So, today, as I begin to enjoy the gift of another year of life on this wonderful earth, I wish for myself to be a kinder, gentler, caring person and to see with my heart. Happy Birthday.
No comments:
Post a Comment